Sunday, January 30, 2011

Some random thoughts on nutrition, hydration and British heavy metal.


 

Yesterday's run  was rough.  The start of the run was hard, probably due to the heavy omelette I had for breakfast.  I estimate that it took me about 4-5 miles to really get beyond the point where I was struggling to run for lack of energy rather than muscle fatigue or pain.  Though I know that it shouldn’t surprise me, it really is amazing how choices in diet can affect performance.  I’m not even talking about the difference between a salad and deep fried Twinkies: eggs and home fries were heavy enough to noticeably impact my ability to run. 

Again I’m aware that I’m not having groundbreaking insights into anything but as they say, seeing is believing.  It’s one thing to hear that a change in diet will positively alter your energy levels and that eating crap will make you feel like crap but it’s something else entirely to be able to actually measure the difference yourself.  

I did make a smart decision regarding nutrition yesterday.  In my route planning, I included a trip to Landry's Bike Shop to pick up some Shot Bloks from the makers of Clif Bar.  After reading on line that the Gu-type gels upset some people’s stomachs, I decided that I really didn’t want to risk that, so at the recommendation of one of the helpful folks at Landry’s I decided to use the Shot Bloks for the Gloucester Triathlon.  They’re not hard on my Prilosec dependent stomach and give almost instant energy.  They come in a sleeve with 6 - 33 calorie pieces.  Over my 16 miles, I ate 10 of them.  After the practice I’ll have over the next 10 weeks of long runs, I could probably have a pretty good idea of how to use them without getting the point of having my energy flagging.  

The other part of body maintenance during the run that I have to worry about is hydration and I’m trying figure that one out.  It seems like a 16 oz water bottle will last me roughly 6 miles.  This wasn’t a problem training in the warmer months as there are bubblers all over the place to get a drink or fill up a water bottle, but the public works departments shut them off in the winter to avoid the pipes freezing/ bursting.  This led me to make an in-run decision to change my route in include the Newton Fire Station station on the corner of Comm. Ave. and Washington which allows you use their bathroom and water bubbler (enter through the side door on the right and make sure to say hi).  This decision led me to wind up running 16 miles rather than the 14 Hal wanted me to run this week but without it, I would have been rather thirsty and I’m not sure how I would have gotten water since there aren’t terribly many convenience store on that stretch of road.  
But anyway, on to the hilarious segment of the blog.: last week, I mentioned that Heartbreak Hill came too early in my run to accurately gauge how difficult it would be come race day.  This week, I was about 10.5 miles into my run when started the climb and considerably more drained (though well hydrated!) than I had been the first time.  Oddly enough right as I crossed Centre Street, which is about halfway up the gentle slope leading to what I guess is the business end of the hill, Iron Maiden’s  Run to the Hills came on my headphones.  It was just what I needed to help me get up and over it.  

I’d also like to state, for the record, that I’ve never had a deep fried Twinkie.

1 comment:

  1. I've only ever had a deep fried Mars bar and it was meh. I do need to try deep fried pickles, though.

    Glad you're realizing different foods affect you -good thing you didn't wait to discover the eggs/potatoes dealie in April!

    ReplyDelete